Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Drains out!

Today was drain removal day, interesting what I can get excited about nowadays ;)
My husband decided that he wanted to take me to the appointment even though he was back to work today after taking last week off. He once again served me breakfast in bed, then went in early and got things set up at his shop before returning to collect me to go to the appointment
The Breast Health Clinic did their normal due diligence in checking my identification and demographic information, which still never ceases to impress me (I guess I impress easily nowadays also). Then she checked me in and looked for my file which seemed to be missing. There was a magazine holder style container that held the files for the day and mine wasn't in it. Then she happened to realize that this holder was sitting on top of something and when she checked, sure enough, the something underneath was my file. My file was larger than all the other files that were in the holder combined and obviously had not fit when pulled the day before. I'm not sure if that is something one can proud of?
I was given my pager again and sat with my husband in the waiting area. There was one couple that quickly drew our attention. They had one sweet curly-haired little girl who looked to be about 5, then a boy who looked to be 3 or 4. In a double stroller were twin girls looking to be under two years of age and in the mother's arms nursing was a baby possibly 4 months old. We were entertained for the very short period of time we waited by this family alone!
Once called in, the nurse had me change, explained what she would be doing, congratulated me on my drainage achievement (again, something I should be proud of?), and went and gathered her supplies. On her return she quickly and efficiently snipped the sutures that were holding the drains in place, one slid out effortlessly and then it was time for the other one. This one was had an entrance point near my lowest rib and reached up into the area just under my collar bone. She told me to take a deep breath, gave a yank and pulled it out. Ouch!!!! It felt like she was tearing something out of me, which I guess she was. Glad it was over quick. She patched me up with some gauze at the insertion points and gave me some extra supplies for home and then we chatted. She was wonderful. She told me the nurse navigator would also be getting in touch with me once the pathology was back and that the navigator would keep in touch and be there throughout the whole treatment period; possibly something I'd heard at the diagnosis visit but obviously had not 'stuck' with me at the time.
She made a joke when I told her that prior to the start of this whole process that I had wished I had more time to read; stating that I probably should have been more specific about the avenue for that wish to take place i.e. a winning lottery ticket. Good to laugh!
There is a Women's Resource library in the same building as the Breast Health Clinic so my husband patiently waited while I checked out their offerings, obtained a library card and checked out 5 books with the optimistic intent that I will have them all read by my postop teaching session there next Thursday a.m.

In yesterday's post I said that I felt like I was in the penalty box. I watched the movie Patch Adams with Rod last night and thoroughly enjoyed it and I have decided that there is another way of looking at this situation also. Maybe I have received the tap on the shoulder from the coach saying, 'You're in the game, let's see what you learned in practise'.

Take care, everyone
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking us on this journey with you Laura, it is wonderful to be able to follow each step and know what to pray about. Its good to be able to hear how you are feeling and managing and may be useful information for the future as well. I am so proud of how you are handling this ordeal and thank God for sustaining you with his grace. Love you lots! Carol

    ReplyDelete