Monday, July 2, 2012

If in doubt, rub her feet :)

Good morning, everyone.
Over the next couple of days I am going to try to document the immediate pre-op and then immediate post-op experiences in separate blog posts. They will probably be a little detailed and some may think it is 'too much information'. For those people, they will be separate posts and there is no obligation whatsoever to read but for those who may be curious I will try to recount my experiences.

Today is another wonderful, sunny day. I am now comfortably situated in my recliner in the family room, with the backyard and deck in my view on one side and on my other side the view is of some of the beautiful flowers and gifts received. We have food in the fridge for meals to come and have had some lovely visits with the people who brought the meals, gifts and flowers. I've added a picture.

Now for some more confessions -
I have two drains in that need to be emptied about every 8 hours and sometimes the tubing needs to be milked to keep things flowing well. Who knew that the nurse who had no difficulty doing this for others would be a little squeamish doing it for herself. How embarassing! The milking itself takes a fair amount of strength and the right arm protests being used for this purpose. I find myself needing about 15 minutes after the milking to get over the squeamishness and for my right arm muscles to stop protesting.
I also will confess that I was feeling a little sorry for myself this a.m. so I decided to take a little extra care with my appearance. The Breast Health clinic sent me a temporary prosthesis to use until the incisional area is healed and today was the first day to use it. I thought I was lop-sided without it but now with it, I have the opposite problem, seems like I may have lost some weight on the other side and it is affecting symmetry. :(

My husband Rod probably doesn't quite know how to deal with all of this but our friend Jane had just the answer for him. She delivered a little care package last Thursday and one of the items was a triple mint foot cream with a note for Rod that said, 'Rod, if in doubt, rub her feet'. Which is exactly what he did for me once I got all settled in the recliner this a.m. and you know what? Jane was right!

Take care
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment