Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Patterns

I am beginning to notice patterns to this whole process. It seems that there will be an appointment which generates a procedure or procedures and then there is a period of waiting for results, this period can be short or long but no matter what waiting is the hardest part. Obtaining the results seems to result in another round of appointments or phone calls.

Today I had several phone calls. It seems the cancer registry would like me to donate my tumour after the requisite 6 months that it is kept for the surgeon. My thoughts are that if donating it can help research and improve things for somebody else in the future then it is definitely something I will give my consent to. Making this decision means that I will also be sent a kit and a requisition for labwork, some of which requiires fasting. Since I also have to have fasting labwork following my annual physical with my GP yesterday I will combine the two and get it all over with at the same time.

The nurse navigator also called. I find it interesting how the mind works (at least my mind, and I know that some people consider my mind a scary place). I was almost surprised when she started talking about next steps. My mind had totally embraced the good news from yesterday's pathology report and I was in a bit of denial regarding chemotherapy and hormone therapy, wondering if it was really necessary. I guess because of the positive lymph glands and the grade of the tumor cells it looks like it is so I tried to readjust my thinking as we talked. She reiterated what the surgeon's secretary had told me regarding the cancer center contacting me and told me it should be by the end of this week. I told her of our plans for vacation and she gave me the phone number of the appointment booking line, stating this information would be very helpful for them to know prior to starting the booking process. She told me I will most probably be looking at six to eight treatments spaced three weeks apart followed by hormone therapy and possibly radiation. She asked how I was doing postop. I think the biggest irritation is the feeling that I have a bad sunburn in the area of the incision, axilla and underside of the upper arm and yet when I touch the areas they feel numb. Apparently this is quite common due to the nerve disruption. I am finding that certain fabrics seem to feel like sandpaper over these areas and that ice is helpful. She also suggested that the arm exercises may help as well as massage of the incision area as soon as it is not too tender to do this. I do have a postop class on Thursday morning this week where more of this type of information will be reviewed.

 The other appointment I was booked for today was with a GP who specializes in working with oncology patients on a 'whole patient' type of basis. The first appointment will be for one hour. Interesting all the resources available that I was previously so ignorant of but that I am now so thankful for.

 On top of the other phone calls I also spoke to the physician caring for my mother. It looks like she will be in the hospital for about a week and then they plan to assess and see if they feel she will be able to return to an assisted living facility. I have been very impressed with the communication for this hospital stay for her.

 I have been a little on the lazy side today activity wise and I need to snap myself out of it but it seems easier at the moment to procrastinate. Yesterday was a big day and I felt the effects of it this a.m. Now I need to get myself outside and go for a walk. No more excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment