Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Giving

Giving seemed to be an appropriate title for today's post.
This morning I had my orientation at the Cancer Center. I had wondered what it would be like and I was pleasantly surprised. Right from the start a very warm, non-threatening atmosphere was estabished - from the refreshments supplied, pamphlets and takeaways provided and by the person in charge of patient education. He has done an incredible job, building upon the materials and sessions offered over his years in the role. I'm sure that this facility is second to none in patient education.
One of the take-aways was a journal called 'My Journey'. It was created by a former patient as her way of giving back, she took a look back at all the pieces of information that she would have liked to have had in one place and accessible at her fingertips. She gathered this all together in a very classy format for the use of others that follow behind her.
The presentation was not sugar-coated (my husband's description) but a positive tone was still maintained throughout. They went from housekeeping type items like where to park and registration right through to palliative care support, as needed, all within a little over two hours. There was a video that was shown at the end that featured people with cancer who had received or were receiving treatment at the center speaking about their experiences. For some, this was their way of giving back while some went on to volunteer as a support person for others or to raise money for cancer through annual events they participated in or started or some in as simple a way as to help out in the center by keeping the educational materials well supplied.
I was also contemplating the various ways that people have given in my own life since my diagnosis and how unique and individual each person's contribution has been. I've mentioned some of them in previous posts like the special bracelet, lunches out, chocolate covered strawberries, the gift cards and certificates, the flowers, meals and visits, acting as a communicator, being there to support my husband while I was in surgery or to be my private nurse postop - all very much appreciated.
Last weekend we had the pleasure of visiting with a couple who, in addition to the wonderful homemade bread they brought, also brought stimulating and intellectual discussion that challenged us to do more than just make small talk with them. A wonderful afternoon.
Another example that occurred today was my former (I was going to say 'old' but that would definitely not fit ;) manager who emailed me and told me her garden was coming in and would I like some fresh garden vegetables. What a treat, the market came to me instead of me having to go to the market! After working all day, she went home and harvested the 'cream of her crop', brought them over to my house in rush hour traffic and then washed them while I spun or dried with paper towels. She was quick to make me feel comfortable about the state of my house and we had a lovely chat while we did this, although, once again I think I may have dominated the conversation.
The last example of giving allowed my whole team at work to benefit. Prior to my leave, I would often show up the day after my Costco expedition with treats for the team, placed on a filing cabinet beside my desk, allowing people to help themselves. (Since my older boys have moved out, this was an outlet for my need to 'mother' people :). One of the young guys on the team was at Costco and tells me it just seemed like the natural thing to do to carry on the tradition and pick up a Costco sized box of chips. He placed these chips in the familiar place at my desk and I received several grateful emails from the team before it was revealed that it was him, not me, who had provided this gift. How nice to carry this tradition on, I am smiling! (I'm told the team may have been getting a little cranky without their usual treats).
What all of this says to me is that giving is as unique as the giver; there are as many ways to give as their are 'givers'. Once again, I am humbled and inspired at the same time.

Tomorrow is my fasting labwork and my medical oncologist appointment. I will eat lots of veggies this evening so the bloodwork is outstanding; I am also looking forward to knowing the options they feel are appropriate for my treatment; choosing the best one for me and then 'getting on with it'.

Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment