Monday, July 23, 2012

Odds and Ends

Today was a bit of a catch-up day for me, including catching up on a bit of rest. Yesterday was a big day as far as being out and about/up and around and my right arm was letting me know about it. I am trying very hard to avoid lymphedema, which is something I will be very prone to now that I have had so many lymph nodes removed under the right arm.

I did go out and do a bit of shopping this morning, I had a lovely gift card from Bath and Bodyworks to use so I indulged myself in some lotions, scent and bubble bath, all on sale - buy 3, get 3 free. Wonderful deal and I've already had a compliment from Kenny, my 17 year old this afternoon on how good I smell (the scent is vanilla based). I also checked out one of my favorite clothing stores (usually shopped on-line) that had a sale ongoing since end of June, there was a further 40% off of all the clearance items this week, my sister-in-law Carol has a unique way of justifying purchases on sale, I used her math to rationalize to myself that I was actually saving money there.
 
When I was at the postop education class last week I also got a lead on some comfortable Genie bras at Bed, Bath and Beyond that accommodate a 'foob' well. Two for $24.99 (can't go wrong with that, right ;). Very comfortable and great camouflage, if I do say so myself! While I was there I also picked up a package of two terry cloth turbans for wearing around the house once my hair 'releases' (that's how the oncologists describe it), then I thought I better get out of there before I'd saved enough today to go on a cruise.

I mentioned my friend in an earlier post who was also diagnosed with breast cancer, she had her diagnosis prior to mine but didn't have lumpectomy surgery until about a week after my surgery. Last I checked with her she still didn't have her pathology results back yet, I am hoping for clean margins and negative nodes for her. I was thinking the other night that we were engaged around the same time, stood up for each other at our weddings, had our children very close together - this is one thing I did not anticipate that we would do together and I am sorry that she has joined me in this. I also heard yesterday of a lovely young Mom I know from Ontario who was diagnosed last week and is booked for surgery in three weeks time. So sorry to hear this and her and her family are in my prayers.

For the ladies that view my blog from the forum and for these lovely ladies I have added to the right of my blog some links to sites and forum threads that I have either found very helpful or feel will be very helpful for the next steps in this process. I hope they prove useful and if anyone knows of other blogs or websites that they would like to recommend, please let me know so I can add them for other's benefit.

Tonight, I will once again shop, the people I work with will smile as they are familiar with my Monday evening Costco routine. I will really have to watch what I spend there or I might have to get a second job to be on leave from in addtion to the one I am currently on leave from ;)

Tomorrow is the two hour orientation session at the Cancer Center. My husband will graciously take the time off work to attend with me, I'm not quite sure what to expect with the exception that parking, as always, will be a challenge!

Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment